SelectCare Benefits Network - SelectCare Benefits (aka is a RIP-OFF

To all of those who access the website SelectCare Benefits… STOP, go no further!

SELECT CARE BENEFITS HAS BEEN DEEMED UNSATISFACTORY BY THE BBB. I’ve got my story and apparently there were many others. This is in regard to a reduced rate or free prescription program.

I contacted this site in attempts to get my medication at a reduced rate or free. The call I made to subscribe was quick. I did not have all the information they needed but I would receive a packet in the mail to complete and return. The cost was $80. $50 for the application fee and $30 for the subscription. I asked that they not take the cash out of my account till a particular date as I did not want to overdraw my account. Times have been tough. About two weeks later, I had checked my bank account and found that they had withdrawn the $80. It was the same day I had found that my work hours were to be reduced. I called them to let them know I need to withdrawal my participation in the program as I needed the cash. I related that no packet was ever received from the company. I was told that I did not receive a packet because my membership didn’t start until they received payment and received the necessary information to acquire the needed medications.

After this phone call began my nightmare began.

I was told that I needed to send a letter of cancellation to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors do not take phone calls. I was also told that I needed to give “a full explanation as to why you feel you deserve a refund” I wrote my letter and explained why I should get my refund. I waited and waited and waited, no check, no letter, no phone call. So I called back. Now I’m told that I need to send a letter of “Request for Refund” to the Board of Directors? NOW I KNOW I’M BEING SCREWED. I sent that letter as well with a few choice comments. AGAIN, I waited and waited and waited. NOTHING.

I made approximately 30 phone calls to this company. The customer service reps are kind of you are inquiring about the program, but are very rude when you are requesting answers and money. I eventually wrote to the Better Business Bureau. They have tried to resolve the situation, but the only response from Select Care Benefits is a “cut and paste” response from their book of lies. I will also note, they had little respect for this process as they were late to respond. However, they said I was entitled to $30 refund but the $50 was not refundable because that was my “non-refundable” process fee. I responded to the BBB letting them know this was not acceptable and that I was told the $50 was for the packet fee which is refundable if I return the packet. I didn’t receive one.

SelectCare Benefits has not accepted with any response to BBB’s offer for an Alternate Dispute Resolution. They also have deemed this company as Unsatisfactory

Check out these reports from the BBB. Same company, two different addresses.

SelectCare Benefits state:

As America's leading Patient Advocate Organization, we fully manage the processes of managing multiple Patient Assistance Programs on an ongoing basis. This makes certain that all of our members constantly receive their medications. Our experienced advocates and state of the art technology makes managing these processes almost effortless for patients in need of prescription assistance through Patient Assistance Programs. Though we are not completely immune from some human error, we boast a 98% approval ratio on applications for assistance that we submit, an approval rate over 10 times what was stated by the pharmaceutical company representative. In the few cases that are disapproved, we quickly follow up to correct any mistakes or file appeals to make sure our members receive medication assistance if at all possible.

When you become a member of Select Care Benefits Network, you will begin experiencing tremendous savings on your prescription medications. However, we must first do a thorough analysis to make sure that you qualify for assistance and will be able to do the small amount of work that is required by you to fully benefit from our prescription assistance.

What they fail to say in large enough print or easy to find text is that they DO NOT GUARANTEE your medication. This company is set up with people taking your personal information over the phone. You provide them with more personal and medication information through a packet (that I’ve not seen) and they submit it to the pharmaceutical company. The drug company determines whether you meet the guidelines for a reduced rate or free prescription.

What you SHOULD KNOW is that you can obtain these forms through the pharmaceutical company and get the information and signatures yourself and send it in to the drug company who sponsers the program. OR…. You can access the website

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps match patients who cannot afford medication to prescription assistance programs that provide free or nearly free medicines to eligible patients. There are no charges associated with using the PPA and almost all of the programs in our database offer their services free of charge. There are other companies that offer to connect consumers to these same programs for a service fee, some of which use our name without our permission to attract people to their websites. We will continue to ask these businesses to stop using our name to confuse you into thinking that their mission is the same as ours: to help you find, without charge, the program that’s right for you. Remember, you will never be asked for money by a PPA Call Center representative, or on this website. To find out what programs you may be eligible for, click here or call 1- 888-4PPA-NOW

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 27 Yes 27 35 No 35
Had the same issue 7 Yes 7
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 29 #1220227 Utica, Michigan

I wish my husband had read these comments before joining this *advocacy group*. He had been with them last year but they were on some other system and he did get his medication. Well this year when he fell into the 'donut hole' he tried to reinstate his agreement with the SCBN rep. and it all began to fall apart. As a results, when he joined or re-joined, the charge was $85.00 which is the sign-up fee plus the monthly cost to him of $35.00. He waited patiently for everything to be put into place and the meds to arrive, but it never happened. He called many times and still no meds. and the different reps made different excuses. Finally as a the need for a prescription we contacted our doctor and had a prescription for the insulin sent to a local pharmacy for a three week supply. June passed and July passed and he needed another prescription and then again in August. By September, my husband finally contact the actual pharmaceutical company and found they could send us the medication without going through SBCN. At about this time a small supply of the medication did arrive but it would only have lasted a little over a month and a half. The bottom line here is that we demolished our savings and used some of our Social Security to the tune of $1,909.00 and now we can get the meds free directly from the pharmaceutical company. What do you think our chances will be to get a refund? Time will tell.

Sep 05 #1208318

I did not return my packet. Kind of forgot about it. In the mean time they were taking out 80.00 plus 50.00 a month. We'll abut 480.00 later I noticed and cancelled. I also did not receive any medicine. I wonder if anybody gets a refund?

Jul 18, 2014 #842539

DItto, Icalled and was told I would be charged $125.00 outright then $75.00 per month. $25.00 per month for each medication I needed. They sent me the paperwork. It took a long time to get the Dr's signatures. By then One of the medications was discontinued by me. I called them, was told they would decrease the draft on my account $50.00. After almost 2 months now I paid $175.00 and still have no medications. When I called to talk about this I was treated rudely, which made me very angry. I told them to close this account and I would never return.
Should money be "drafted" before they receive the paperwork back. I don't think this is right. but Then I forgot
they are making MONEY!!!!

Aug 16, 2013 #700956 Mesquite, Texas

So I don't take medications but my mother and father are diabetics. I enrolled them with SCBN over three years ago. If you actually Listen to the welcome call they clearly state that the pharmaceutical companies provide the medications for free or low cost and you are paying for their services. That is very helpful for me because I am a busy business woman and don't have time to remember when to call in the refills, reapply etc and my parents have memory loss. That is where they come in, they take care of all of the refills and reapplications for us and that is a weight off my shoulders. Most people think that they can lie about their income and still get the medications at no cost, guess what the income is verified and you will be denied with the PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY and you go on here saying they are a scam, NO YOU are a scam! Also my mom forgot to sign one of the pages of the application, If it was sent to the Pharmaceutical company directly, she would have been denied and her app destroyed but guess what, SCBN reviews applications so they sent it back to her to get it signed and yes that did delay her getting her Lantus but it was OUR fault and not THEIRS. On the welcome call they clearly state that it can take 6weeks to get your first shipment of meds and any delays by YOU or YOUR DOCTOR can make this period even longer. SO HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE (they state this in the welcome call) THE MEDICATIONS ARE PROVIDED BY THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES AND NOT BY SCBN, THEY... Show more

2 3 Reply

Sep 30 #1220889 Prattville, Alabama

the fact that you had to go anonymous instead of actually write your actual name tells me that you work for them and are just trying to cover for them and save them business no way in *** would someone who claims that received excellent service from these people go anonymous they would be more than glad to have their actual name on their post so you can save this *** for someone who is dumb enough to believe that an actual consumer wrote this. Also pharmaceutical companies are not hard to deal with people are either lazy or they don't understand the lango so they get someone else to do it for them instead of doing it themselves for free the company my daughter receives her other medications from send us emails and they call as well as send the renewal package for her to get her medications from them for free so the fact that you did not even put a name on this let's me know that you work for these people you are not a customer you are more than likely an advocate since you seem to know so much about what this company does they may or may not do what you say but that is not what their advocates state when you finally do get a hold of them, they were basically sucking me dry so my daughter of course cancelled her membership with them but of course they made sure to go into my account one last time and then tried to deny it when it says it clear as day on my bank statement that they did go into my account when they should not have done so since they were cancelled! They are... Show more

May 21, 2013 #654442 Tampa, Florida

I just signed up with this company today. I was looking for their website information to share on Facebook and found this site. Terrified, I tried desperately to call them before closing time to cancel/stop payment before they send me the packet. I cannot reach anyone until the morning. I also found out that I could have gotten free prescription help via the pharmaceutical company patient help programs.

I feel absolutely sick to the core of my being. I think my first stop will be to the bank tomorrow to stop payments. OMG< they are going to steal $50 from me, possibly $85.00 total. How can this company get away with this? :cry

Jan 16, 2013 #594367 Indianapolis, Indiana

In Dec. i tried to cancel with scbn,they said i needed to send in a cancelation notice to them. I did,They then sent me a letter that said i needed to send in proof that we got medicare,or medicade. Well i cant,because we dont have them,we got our own insurance. But thats not good enough for them, they are still,taking our money from our acct.every month. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF LIARS

Jan 13, 2013 #593202

Write, call or email your state Attorney Generals office about what these scam artists are doing. Also, If you live near their corporate office pay them a visit , make a scene if you have to. Better yet, get a consumer reporter from a local tv station to investigate and pay them a visit. Public awareness of heartless scammers like these is the best weapon we have to fight them. If we can cut off their revenue stream, they won't survive.

Sep 07, 2012 #539267

I worked for these clowns briefly in 2008. They tell you to sell at all costs then write you up when their cheesy business tactics get them in trouble.All around vermin

Aug 27, 2012 #534411

I am soooo glad that i looked this up because I was ab*out to go through that company for my children's perscriptions. *phew*

Aug 25, 2012 #533642

I am so sorry that so many people have been hurt by SCBN...especially those who can least afford it. I want you to know that reading your comments saved me from being another victim. It was a close call! I wish you all the very best in getting some resolution of your issues, and thank you for spreading the word.

May 29, 2012 #487804

I too have Select Care which started in January 2012. it also took weeks for me to receive my medicine. i have to travel to my doctor's office to pick up my medication, but thankfully it's only 11 miles to her office. my plan is (because I'll probably switch medication) is to notify them and at the same time close my account. I paid $80 ($50 for the application fee and $30 for the medication). I kinda felt that the medication could be gotten for free and I asked about it but was told that I would have to go through a similar type company to recieve the medication. Right now I'm having trouble finding the website...glad i read the other info on the search results. I won't call now...just wait until my year is up and then...hang in there folks !! God sees it all and ALWAYS provides a way !!!

Greta Smith

May 25, 2012 #485879

I too was scammed by this company and wished that I had seen this page earlier as well. I have been through the ringer with them and finally I contacted the BBB to report them along with numerous other people. When I spoke to my advocate Mike he said all the complaints are old and they have not received any recently. I think he might be on the wrong BBB because there have been alot of complaints in the last two months. They have not done anything for the money that I paid them and I could have used that money to buy the meds I needed. He swears they have done alot, but told me in a phone conversation that he does not do follow up calls unless there is a problem reported. I was told my meds would be there in 4-6 weeks that was in March. Still haven't gotten them and since then they have told me that the pharmaceutical company has changed all the rules and all new paperwork needs to be turned in. This company needs to be put out of business and not allowed to scam any other individuals.

Apr 30, 2012 #473807

I too was ripped off. this company took advantage of me and my illness. i can't ever talk to a person and they took my money and didn't send me a packet. I wish I saw this page sooner! UGH! I'm so mad!!! now I feel like I have to worry about my personal info they have .

Dec 06, 2011 #386288

Has any one ever tried to email this company? Not one of the email addresses they list on not only their site but the supposed owner's email is valid! I visited their website and did not finish the 5 step procedure to join. I started getting calls, when I answered the guy, Drew, that I talked to (I know, in my desperate financial ignorance) convinced me the company was ligit. Before I knew it I was giving him way too much information. I immediately looked into the company further and have not seen many good things that are said about them. Trying to reach them to cancel before they even send out the packet is impossible! Now I had to spend money to stop payment and have to open a new checking account. Just what I needed right now. They have already cost me money...for nothing!

Valerie N

Nov 26, 2011 #380665

I join all of you as a victim of this company also. I called the company thar sends me my prescription (Purdue) and they dont understand why SCBN is taking $35 out of my savings for a precription that is FREE through them. Its sad we are being taken advantage of, afterall the reason why we contacted them was to save money we all dont have for the expensive precriptions and come to find out they dont come directly from SCBN. Something legally should be done through the BBB.

Nov 21, 2011 #378161

I am sorry so many of you have had some kind of misunderstading with this comapany but scbn has been a life safer for us , I have 2 son's with hdhd and ther meds are very expensive I have 5 mouth's to feed and our insurance dose not cover these meds , 30 dollars a month is much better than 300 please do not do anything that cause the erst of us who desperatlely need this company and the services it so wonderfully provides

1 1 Reply

Sep 30 #1220891 Prattville, Alabama

in the words of Marsha Brady, sure Jan

Dudley  Aug. 2011

Sep 19, 2011 #346411 Erode, Tamil Nadu

We have just recently gotten ripped by this company as well!!Do they sue you if you do not continue to pay? I am thinking about hiring an attorney. Is this a waste of time and money? I agree that someone needs to step in and make them pay for their wrong doings!!!

Sep 12, 2011 #342916

I just got off of the phone with this company and refused to give them any bank info until I could find out if they were legit. The lady gave me the website and somehow I ended up here. Thank God I did. Thank you all so much for the warning, I will not be using this company.

1-20 of 35 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.